What does it mean when my printer says hold for authentication?
If you see the dreaded “Hold for authentication” it means that there’s an incorrect username / password and the print job will never print.
How do I add an authentication printer to my Mac?
The Mac computers store your network password information locally in what is called the “Keychain”. When you change your network password, it is NOT automatically updated in the keychain which will cause an authentication problem when you try to print.
What does hold for authentication mean when printing Mac?
What does “Hold for Authentication” mean? Sometimes, when printing from a Mac, the job appears to pause in the print queue window with the message “Hold for Authentication”. This error indicates that the credentials that the Mac is providing are being rejected by the server it’s contacting.
How do I stop printing authentication required on my Mac?
Overcome ‘Authentication Required’ error for shared printers in…
- Check your shared printer permissions. …
- Manually refresh the print job. …
- Remove keychain entries for your printer. …
- Delete and re-add your printer with a different name.
How do I authenticate my HP printer?
To check the authenticity of a toner cartridge, either use a QR code app to scan the QR code on the toner cartridge box, or go to hp.com/go/ok, type the toner cartridge serial number, and then click Verify.
How do I fix Authentication error on Mac?
How to Fix “Hold for Authentication” Error on Mac
- Fix #1: Cancel the print job and try again. …
- Fix #2: Enter your credentials. …
- Fix #3: Confirm correct setup of the print queue connection. …
- Fix #4: Try a different driver. …
- Fix #5: Check your shared printer permissions. …
- Fix #6: Remove keychain entries for your printer.
How do I connect my Mac to a sharp printer?
Configure Sharp Print Drivers – Mac OSX
- Open your System Preferences.
- Open the Print and Scan menu, highlight the Sharp and click Options & Supplies.
- Move to the Driver tab, tell the driver which options your machine has by using the drop down menus. Click OK.
Where is keychain on a Mac?
The Keychain Access app is located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. If you launch it, you’ll see a number of items in the sidebar: different keychains, such as Login, and, if you have the iCloud Keychain active (see below), you’ll see an entry for that.
How do you launch the terminal on a Mac?
On your Mac, do one of the following:
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, type Terminal in the search field, then click Terminal.
- In the Finder , open the /Applications/Utilities folder, then double-click Terminal.
How do I delete printer keychain on Mac?
Delete a keychain
- In the Keychain Access app on your Mac, if your keychains aren’t visible, choose Window > Keychain Access.
- Select a keychain in the Keychains list.
- Choose File > Delete Keychain [keychain name].
- Click Delete References.
What is authentication in computer science?
Authentication is the process of a user confirming that they are who they say they are on a computer system. In a network, this is often done through inputting a username and password. For networks that require high levels of security, authentication may include other methods.